Submit :
News                      Photos                     Just In                     Debate Topic                     Latest News                    Articles                    Local News                    Blog Posts                     Pictures                    Reviews                    Recipes                    
  
ICC backs resumption of international cricket in Pakistan; agrees to bear additional security costs
A few days after International Cricket Council (ICC) Chairman Shashank Manohar welcomed the return of international cricket to Pakistan, the apex governing body of cricket has agreed to provide financial assistance to the country in order to resume international match-series on their soil.

While briefing the media on Wednesday at the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore, ICC Chief Executive Officer David Richardson called the matches an "important stepping stone" for Pakistan to earn the "confidence of the international sporting community."

Pakistan has hosted only one international series since terrorists attacked a bus carrying the Sri Lankan national cricket team. The incident had taken place in Lahore in March 2009, wounding six players and killing two civilians and six Pakistani policemen. Since then, Pakistan has been hosting its domestic matches in the UAE.

"The ICC has already agreed to invest in security and improving the security capabilities for a three-year period," said Richardson, further adding that he would like to see other countries sending their teams to Pakistan.

Pakistan is currently organising the World XI cricket tour on their land which had recently been backed by the ICC. The series will be played between Pakistan and World XI team for three T20 matches in Lahore.

"The World XI tour will send out a positive message to the world cricket community that the security situation in Pakistan has improved and is satisfactory," said Richardson.

According to the media report, the World XI players have been provided head-of-state-like security for the ongoing series in Pakistan.

Earlier, PCB Chief Najam Sethi confirmed that the agreement with the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) has been finalised to play three-match Twenty20 series in Lahore that will be played at the end of November this year.

COMMENTS (0)
Guest
Name
Email Id
Verification Code
Email me on reply to my comment
Email me when other CJs comment on this article
}
Sign in to set your preference
Advertisement
merinews for RTI activists


Advertisement
Not finding what you are looking for? Search here.