Submit :
News                      Photos                     Just In                     Debate Topic                     Latest News                    Articles                    Local News                    Blog Posts                     Pictures                    Reviews                    Recipes                    
Jaipur lads conquer Mount Nun in Kargil with grit and determination despite all odds
The young and professional mountaineer Rahul Bairwa, an alumnus of Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur, along with teammates Sandeep Saini and Nipun Shashtri, accomplished a rare feat of scaling 7135 meters of Mount Nun, the highest peak of the Himalayan range lying on the Indian side of the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir recently.

Beaming with a sense of pride Rahul Bairwa said, "We conquered the Mount Nun after tough climbing for 24 days after starting our expedition from Tongul village at Kargil on August 27. We witnessed the death of a mountaineer of a different team due to hypothermia shock after got hit by avalanche in bad weather conditions and got stranded for many days, but we persisted and achieved the rare feat."

Bairwa and his team members made a base camp at Tongul village on September 3 at a height of 13870 feet. After that they did continuous load ferries, in order to get acclimatize properly.

"After 3 days of climb, on September 9, the team shifted to Advance Base camp at the altitude of 18040 feet. The weather conditions went miserable after reaching the camp at 18040 feet on September 9. Nonstop heavy snowfall, blizzard, cold winds occurred for 72 long hours. This made some other teams returned from that height to the base camp," he recounted.

However, to meet the challenge head-on, the Jaipur team covered their tent with a wall of snow around it (like igloo); saved their food and water by eating energy bars and converted ice into water and waited for three days for fury to end and calm to return.

Rahul Bairwa said, "A few teams started climbing the mountain as soon as the thunder storm ended and were buried under the snow due to avalanche. One of them died from hypothermia, while others were rescued from the snow and taken to hospitals."

"We again started climbing on September 18 from camp 2 (19850 feet) to summit camp .The height of the submit camp was 21335 feet and the oxygen percentage at that altitude was 30-35%. The team climbed for seven straight hours under the moon light and reached the top of the mountain at 5:43 am on September 19 and saw the beautiful sunrise," he described with sparkling eyes.

After spending 20 minutes at the top, their descent strictly followed the dictum of LNT (leave no trace) to bring all the garbage back to base camp with them.

He claimed that the mental strength and will power played a key role in achieving goals like this. "We have done practices before to survive in the extreme weather conditions," he said.

"We wanted to promote adventure sports in Rajasthan as well as spread awareness about waste management by achieving this feat," he signed off adding that his future goals was to climb seven summits consisting of the highest peaks in each of the seven continents.

Email Id
Verification Code
Email me on reply to my comment
Email me when other CJs comment on this article
Sign in to set your preference
merinews for RTI activists

Not finding what you are looking for? Search here.